Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Are small publishing companies more for generic writing?

I know the title might piss someone off, but the last question where I asked about a list of small publishing companies, the first answer got me thinking a bit. Are the more smaller publishing houses meant for more generic writing styles. Ive noticed most of the small publishing companies Ive found mainly deal with just one genre.



I always liked that about the small publishing companies, that if someone went to them, they knew what kind of book they were after. Ive also heard of a few authors that got their start in small publishing companies and a few of their novels from said small publishing company actually reached best seller status.



So basically, before I keep going on a rant, is this whole game of getting a book published just one long roll of the dice with wishful thinking of rolling a seven? I heard to get an agent, but it just seems weird to have to "sell" my book to an agent, hope they like it and then they turn around and literally sell it to a publishing company. Im not sure, but I thought the agent would also handle things like pushing the book, setting up interviews to push the book, etc., basically do everything they have to do in order to get more money (for them that is haha).Are small publishing companies more for generic writing?
Sometimes it's harder to get an agent than it is to get publisher to accept your book - but some of the larger publishers have decided that they won't deal directly with authors any longer, so you have to have an agent to approach them.

Small publishers are easier to work with and yes, they usually do have a favorite genre - but not always. And sometimes smaller publishers will give preference to a local book or a regional book.

I find it frustrating to go through the query, submit gavotte - especially as it can take months for the publishers to reply and many will not accept simultaneous submissions, so you have to go one at a time through the list, which can quite literally take years.

I've published a few of my books on Smashwords and they will soon be available on Amazon, Diesel, Kobo, Sony etc. - you can have a look if you go to Smashwords and type in 'The Long Way Home' - that's one of my books - and maybe you, too, will want to consider electronic publishing. I'm convinced it's the way of the future because the younger generation is locked in to texting, to I-pods, etc and many have never read a book that wasn't assigned for school. They prefer their Kindles.
  • jdm
  • carolina skiff
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment