Sunday, February 12, 2012

What is a legitimate Publishing company wheere I can publisk my book?

I'm working on writing my first book and I want to et it published but the problem is I don't know what Publishing companies are scams an which are legit. I've heard of Xlibris an some say its awesome and others says thee opposite. Im confused I really want to publish my book BUT I don't want to get scammed in the process. So someone with experience please let know whats good from bad. Thanks in avance)What is a legitimate Publishing company wheere I can publisk my book?
Theres two different types of publishing. When a publishing company buys and publishes your book, or self publishing. I cant help on many, but i can tell you about Xlibris. I personally wouldnt recommend them. Their prices are quite high, and even the internet says its a scam. When i contacted them for publishing, I said i wasnt ready yet, and they said they were fine with that but then they rang me like 3 times every single day bugging and bugging me and saying "no rush".I really didnt want to hand it in quickly because i wanted to edit and make sure it was ok, but i eventually gave in and just sent it. They sent me the galley, which was an overview of the books final format. And i realised there were so many mistakes in it. First, after i repeatedly told them it was TWO authors(my friend and I), they listed as one author. Secondly, they only wrote the first four chapters onto the contents because we didnt actually write "chapter this chapter that" for every chapter. And thirdly, I noticed some small mistakes. I wanted it back to redo some of it, but they told me it would be like $50 plus more for every change! And when we got that sorted they said we had to pay more for distribution or advertising or something like that. At that point we gave up.

So if you want to publish, I suggest you get a publishing agent and take your work to proper companies.
Research is key - there are many options out there. Let your publishing option work for you. What if there were a self-publishing option that provided one-on-one professional publishing consulting to help you reach the best decision possible based on your goals and resources? There maybe. Check out full-service publishing option called Outskirts Press. They offer assistance before, during, and after publication, including various levels of editing and marketing consultation, along with all the design possibilities under the sun.What is a legitimate Publishing company wheere I can publisk my book?
Like sophieb said: self publishing costs a lot of time, money and aggrevation. I also have a book (over 1000 pages) but none of these online self publishers give you a break.



Go to Barnes and Nobel and get the book called Writers Digest. It has thousands of publishers. Try to get an agent. They cost money too, but they do most of the leg work for you. Send in your synopsis to some publishers - the book will tell you what they want. Remember to follow up with the publishers afterwards.



You will probably get a LOT of rejection letters - mostly form letters - but don't let that discourage you. Keep send in chapters or whatever the publishers want. Good luck.
Don't worry about publishing. Right now, you need to work on learning how to spell.What is a legitimate Publishing company wheere I can publisk my book?
That's called self-publishing. Go to your nearest book store and look at the names of the publishers, then come home and check them out on the internet. Surely if they already printed up books already and they're out in the public's view they should be ok to deal with. I remember years ago I wanted to self-publish my cookbook. Seems to me that self-publishing means you do it all yourself, all the editing, all the english structure and verbiage and words spelled correctly and such, and I talked with a company who said back then that for 500 books they'd charge $1,000 so that $1,000 was the lowest they could work for. You'd have to determine the cover and pictures and divisions which are chapters and for each picture it costs money. And determine whether you want paperback or hard back. Remember that if you want 300 pages of print (like 150 and on both sides) then you'd have to write about 600 pages and then do your editing which will cut down the words, phrases and situations and bring you to about 300 pages. Yes, I finally got my cookbook in print and sold some. You need to remember too that a book doesn't just sell itself. You've got to market it, promote it like on the radio and tv, give out a few free copies, the material has to be something that people don't wish to readily copy (or you'll lose your shirt) and you'll have to get your book into popular book stores like Barnes %26amp; Noble and all that takes money. A book is like a business, you need to treat it like a business so you'd need to keep track of your sales, where you put your books (which stores) and keep in touch with those (up-to-date figures) and file taxes and have a business name and business license, and go places where you could talk about your book like on c-span. Otherwise there's no use to writing a book if you're not going to make money at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment