Thursday, February 2, 2012

Do publishing companies have a limit of how many words your novel can be?

I'm currently writing a novel. It is already over 100,000 words and I used a calculator to conclude that if I continue writing as many words as I have been, I'll finish close to 150,000. I'm not overly worried about it but I would like to know if my large novel is going to make it harder to find a publisher than it already is. Please don't respond "Don't worry about it.", again, I'm not really worried about it, I'm curious is all. :)Do publishing companies have a limit of how many words your novel can be?
Well, for a first time author (so far unpublished) publishing houses will not usually look at something over the 100,000 word mark for adult fiction. This isn't saying they won't, Twilight was longer than that, and due to somebody making a mistake in assuming the word count was shorter, it go read, and then published.

It could happen, but keeping it under the 100,000 words will make the chances of your manuscript being considered higher.Do publishing companies have a limit of how many words your novel can be?
It all depends on genre really. However a good rule of thumb is, a novel is as long as it is. You are not writing for your publisher, you are writing for your readers, they will be able to sense it in your writing if you try to scrunch it.



However, nowadays you don't have to worry about publishers if you don't want to. I use smashwords to publish. I will link my authors page which you can navigate from to set up your own if you wish, also my book is free for july if you enjoy Dark Fantasy :)Do publishing companies have a limit of how many words your novel can be?
Well depends if ur making a child picture book 150,000 pages long I don't think they would except it but they would except it as an adult noval
  • disneymovieclub
  • auto parts stores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment